We wrote this at the end of 2019, and will update it as we get better.
WE’RE NOT PERFECT. We acknowledge there will be better ways of doing things. Please get in touch with ideas on how we can improve. Sometimes it’s still just too expensive to do the best thing, sometimes we have big stocks and we need to use them up first (like courier bags), and sometimes there are just complications.
WHAT WE DO:
- We re-use packaging. Cardboard boxes, newspaper, bubble wrap. Occasionally courier bags too!
- We combine packaging as much as possible.
- We try to minimise the use of plastic bubble wrap. We’ve received a lot in the past and it’s taking a while to use it up.
- We stock glass not plastic products where that’s possible.
- We’re moving to home-compostable courier bags as we use up our supplies of the old non-compostable ones. (A4 done, Probably DLE next, then A5.)
WHAT YOU COULD DO:
- Get your deliveries sent to your work or friend’s address in the town centre rather than your home address in a suburb or countryside. The final leg of a courier delivery has been estimated to contribute 50% of the carbon emissions of shipping. Reducing the distance driven and number of stops made will reduce that.
- Re-use the packaging you receive….
- Open courier bags carefully at the end with scissors, and you should be able to re-use them inside out.
- Don’t play pop-the-bubbles with bubble wrap! Use it to protect something you’re sending or storing.
- After we read them, we re-use our local newspapers as packaging - so have a read of recent goings on in Marlborough!
- If you haven’t a use for the packaging, please recycle it.
- For regular customers: consider ordering twice as much half as often. (Your shipping cost is the same).